Alabama is home to numerous distribution companies. Home Depot, Wal-Mart, McLane, ACE, Target, C&S Wholesale Grocers, and SYSCO are among the nationally known companies with major distribution operations in the state.
Following are a few quick facts about Alabama’s distribution/transportation industry:
- Alabama was ranked 21st in the U.S. for exports. Companies in Alabama shipped products to nearly 200 countries.
- Six interstate highways (I-10, I-20, I-59, I-85, I-65, I-22) converge in Alabama allowing for goods to be shipped to major markets.
- The Mobile Container Terminal offers an improved option along the U.S. Gulf Coast for reaching major markets.
- Alabama is served by five 5 Class 1 railroads and several short lines, carrying cargo over 3,800 miles (6,100+ km) of track.
- Alabama imposes no inventory tax.
For a closer look at Alabama’s distribution industry, please open the documents below.
Alabama’s Distribution Industry
Alabama & U.S. Interstate Network Map
Commercial Airports Serving Alabama Map
Commercial Airports in the Region Map
Interstate and Federal Highways in Alabama Map
Alabama Major Rail Service Map
Class I Railroads in the Region Map
Intermodal Facilities in the Region Map
Alabama’s Navigable Waterways