Alabama’s comprehensive transportation network allows Alabama companies to compete in the global marketplace. The state’s transportation infrastructure includes six interstate highways, seven commercial airports, five Class I railroads, multi-modal services and facilities, one of the nation’s largest inland waterway systems, and a deep-water seaport.
Following are a few quick facts about Alabama’s transportation network:
- Highway – Six interstate highways (I-10, I-20, I-59, I-85, I-65, I-22) converge in Alabama, allowing easy access to major markets.
- Air – Alabama is served by five major commercial airlines and several commuter airlines operating through seven airports. International flights are easily accessible via direct flights from major connecting cities. Five airports as well as Huntsville’s International Intermodal Center offer air cargo service.
- Rail – Alabama is served by 16 freight railroads, including five Class I railroads, carrying cargo over 3,700 miles (over 5,900 km) of track. Norfolk Southern recently completed the $97.5 million, 316-acre Birmingham Regional Intermodal Facility in Birmingham as part of its Crescent Corridor program to establish a high-capacity intermodal freight rail route between the Gulf Coast and the Northeast.
- Inland Waters – Alabama’s water corridors connect to more than 15,000 miles (24,000 km) of inland waterways in 23 states.
- Deep-water Seaport – Located on the Gulf of Mexico, Alabama’s Port of Mobile offers carrier services and shipping options between major global and domestic markets and can accommodate Post-Panamax sized ships. Container, general cargo and bulk facilities have immediate access to two interstate systems, five Class 1 railroads, and inland waterways.
For a closer look at Alabama’s transportation network, please open the documents below
Alabama’s Transportation Overview
Alabama & U.S. Interstate Network Map
Commercial Airports Serving Alabama
Commercial Airports in The Region Map
Alabama Major Rail Service Map
Class I Railroads in the Region Map
Intermodal Facilities in the Region Map
Alabama’s Navigable Waterways
Birmingham-Shuttlesworth International Airport
Columbus Georgia Airport Authority
Dothan Regional Airport
Mobile Airport Authority
Montgomery Airport Authority
Northwest Alabama Regional Airport
Port of Huntsville
Northwest Alabama Regional Airport Simulation Video
Montgomery Regional Airport Simulation Video
Mobile Regional Airport Simulation Video
Huntsville International Airport Simulation Video
Dothan Regional Airport Simulation Video
Birmingham-Shuttlesworth International Airport Simulation Video
Craig Field Airport & Industrial Park Simulation Video