With a vibrant history in Aerospace and Defense, Alabama is home to hundreds of aerospace related industries supporting both government and commercial markets. Companies like Airbus, Boeing, GE Aviation, and GKN call Alabama home.
Following are a few quick facts about Alabama’s dynamic aerospace industry:
- Alabama’s aviation and defense industry (including Boeing and Lockheed Martin) has been integral to U.S. Space and Defense programs for more than 50 years.
- Alabama export of Aerospace equipment and parts were valued at over $1.4 billion in in 2016.
- Employment in Aerospace products and parts manufacturing (NAICS 336400) was more than 12,700 in 2016.
- In 2012, Airbus announced that it would build its first American jetliner production facility in Alabama. Final assembly and production began in 2015 and the company began delivering aircraft to customers in early 2016.
- Alabama is home to Redstone Arsenal and Marshall Space Flight Center where the Saturn V rocket was designed and the next-generation Space Launch System is being developed.
For a closer look at Alabama’s aerospace industry, please open the document below.