With a vibrant history in Aerospace and Defense, Alabama is home to hundreds of aerospace related industries. Space and Defense; Aviation; and MRO (Maintenance, Repair, & Overhaul) make up some of Alabama’s most productive sectors within the aerospace industry. Companies like Airbus, Boeing, GE Aviation, and GKN call Alabama home.
Following are a few quick facts about Alabama’s dynamic aerospace industry:
- Alabama is home to Airbus’ first American jetliner production facility and, in 2016, delivered it first Alabama-assembled A321.
- Aerospace products and parts manufacturing employed more than 12,300 in 2015.
- Over $867 million in Aerospace equipment and parts were exported in 2015.
- Alabama had more than $8.4 billion in Department of Defense Contracts in FY 2015.
- Alabama is home to Redstone Arsenal (Marshall Space Flight Center, The U.S. Army Aviation and Missile Command, U.S. Army Space and Missile Defense Command and U.S. Army Aviation and Missile Research Development and Engineering Center).
For a closer look at Alabama’s aerospace industry, please open the document below.